Applying for a Habitat for Humanity Home
If your family, or a family you know, is in need of decent, affordable housing, please contact Habitat for Humanity of Kankakee County to apply.
The local Habitat affiliate will explain the application process and provide information on availability, location, size and cost of Habitat homes in the Kankakee area.
Qualification criteria and an application are available on this web site. Please contact Carol Franke at 815-954-7615 with questions or for more information.
Habitat for Humanity of Kankakee County selects "partner families" to become Habitat homeowners. Habitat for Humanity follows to a nondiscriminatory policy of family selection. Neither race nor religion is a factor in choosing partner families. Partner families are always selected based on their level of need, ability to pay and willingness to partner.
Habitat homes are not given to partner families. To be able to purchase a Habitat home, the partner family must contribute 500 hours of "sweat equity," a cash down payment and closing costs. The balance of the purchase price is financed by Habitat for Humanity of Kankakee County with an interest-free loan.
Partner Family Criteria
Looking for an affordable opportunity to buy a simple, decent home? All partner families must meet the following criteria to qualify for a Habitat home.
- Show a need for adequate housing (example: Unsafe conditions, Overcrowding).
- Kankakee County Resident for one year or more.
- Willing to complete 500 hours of "sweat equity" through work on your home build and program participation.
- Verify Kankakee County Habitat for Humanity income requirements. (Minimum income of $1,550/month, maximum income of $3,100/month for a family of four.)
- Pay a $1000 cash down payment (in two payments) and up to $1000 closing costs.
- Pay a $500/$550 month mortgage payment that includes principal/property taxes/insurance
- Agree to a complete credit check and background check
- Complete mandatory credit and home buyer counseling.
If you are able to meet the above criteria, please check our events calendar for upcoming application sessions. You must attend a session in order to submit a partner family application.